Grilled clams with tomato, samphire & garlic
50ml olive oil
1 clove garlic, peeled and roughly crushed with the flat side of a knife
300g cherry tomatoes (very ripe), chopped
100ml aged white wine
salt to taste
- Place the raw clams in a bucket of cold water and let them sit for 15-20 minutes. Change the water and repeat this as many times as needed to make sure all the sand has been removed from inside the clams. You will know this has happened when you see no sand at the bottom of the bucket when changing the water.
- When you are about to grill the clams make sure the grill is hot but with no flames. All charcoal should be well lit and red rather than black.
- Place the clams on the grill and cook until they open. Transfer them onto a plate. At the same time, heat the olive oil in a small pan and add the crushed garlic. When the garlic becomes golden add the cherry tomatoes and cook for about 10 minutes gently.
- Add the butter and wine and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the samphire, give everything a stir and season with salt.
- Remove the sauce from the heat, pour over the clams and eat immediately