This is a fantastic way to have fish. The flavours are punchy and make this dish the perfect mezze to have with a cold beer. Feel free to use any fish you like for this; they can be whole or filleted. Just use whatever pleases you more.
Pan fried red mullet with rosemary, vinegar
4 medium red mullets (fresh and whole, scaled and gutted)
500L extra virgin olive oil (preferably Greek)
4 sprigs fresh rosemary
About 100ml of Aged white wine vinegar like moscatel
Flour for dusting the fish
- Begin by scaling and gutting the fish. Wash them thoroughly under cold water keep them in the fridge.
- Heat a wide frying pan over medium heat. When hot add enough olive oil to cover the sides of the pan by about 1 cm.
- Salt and dust the cleaned red mullets in flour and carefully place in the pan.
- Add the sprigs of rosemary and keep the heat on medium.
- Cook until golden brown and crispy on one side, turn and do the same for the other. This should take about 4 minutes in total. Just before you remove the mullets from the pan add the vinegar and turn off the heat.
- Place the fish on a plate and serve