(barley rusks with grated tomato and fresh goat’s cheese)
Cretan Ntakos with cured anchovies
2 Cretan barley rusks
3-4 very ripe red tomatoes
1 tablespoon of preserved capers
1 small handful of good quality olives
1 small red onion
150 grams of Cretan Mizithra (traditional goat’s cheese) or fresh goats curd
Extra virgin olive oil
4-6 fillets of cured anchovy in oil
- Grate the tomatoes using the coarse holes of a box grater and place in a bowl.
- Finely dice the red onion.
- To serve, place the rusks in a shallow bowl and pour the grated tomato on top. Arrange the goat’s cheese on top of the tomato and scatter the olives, capers, and onion all over. Pour a generous amount of olive oil over the top, sprinkle some sea salt and oregano and finish with the anchovy fillets.
- You can turn this into what we call a Cretan salad by adding some cucumber, sliced tomatoes, green peppers, some pickles and whatever else you fancy.
- This is an all-time staple in Crete during the summer months when the tomatoes are so ripe you can smell them being grated from a distance. For us it was the snack to have after a long day on the beach sitting on the veranda with a cold beer and getting ready for the evening outing.