Pastrouma and cheese filo pies
Enjoy hot as a snack
100g good quality butter
50ml extra virgin olive oil
400g filo pastry
150g tomatoes, diced
120g pastrouma, sliced very thinly (usually bought sliced)
150g graviera cheese, cut into lond strips
250g mild yellow cheese (like a very mild cheddar, Spanish tetilla or Turkish mild kashar cheese), cut into long strips
1tbsp dried savoury
1tbsp Turkish chilli flakes
2tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Melt the butter in a small pan, remove from the heat and mix in the olive oil.
- Usually when you buy filo pastry you get it in a long roll so I suggest you cut the roll into 3 equal parts or in 2 if you want to make larger and longer pastries.
- If you decide to cut in three, you will need two of them for this recipe. You can store the other one in the fridge wrapped in a damp cloth for up to a week.
- Unflold the pastry roll and you should have a long rectangular stack of filo sheets.
- Take two sheets and place them in front of you on a clear surface with the short side of the rectangle facing you. Brush them generously with the butter/oil mix using a pastry brush. Place a couple of strips of both cheeses in the part closest to you followed by two slices of pastourma, a few chunks of tomato, a sprinkle of the spices and finish with a touch of dill.
- When you are doing this make sure you allow about 2cm gap from the bottom of the pastry and the sides or you will not be able to seal it properly and the filling will escape while cooking.
- You want to roll these into cigar shapes so start by making the first roll to cover the filling the fold the sides in to seal it. Brush with the butter/oil mix as you feel necessary to help the pastry stick together. With the sides now folded in continue to roll all the way to the top. Brush the final seal with the butter/oil and place on a lined baking tray seal side down.
- Continue to this until all your mix is finished. You should get around 10-12 pies.
- Brush the tops and sides of the pies with butter/oil and place in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until they are golden and crispy.